An uneven sidewalk can be a safety risk. Learn how professional concrete repair services can restore your walkway and prevent potential accidents.
Signs You Need Sidewalk Repair
How can you tell if your sidewalk needs professional repair? Here are some signs to look out for:
- Large cracks or gaps between sidewalk panels. Cracks wider than 1⁄4 inch mean the concrete is severely distressed.
- One or more panels that are raised higher or sunken lower than others, creating an uneven surface.
- Root damage that has pushed up sections of the sidewalk.
- Significant corner or edge damage on multiple panels from wear and tear over time.
- Evidence the sidewalk has shifted, such as misalignment with stairs or driveway approaches.
- Drainage issues that cause water pooling and erosion under or near the sidewalk.
Safety Risks of Uneven Sidewalks
An uneven sidewalk doesn’t just look bad – it can create safety issues. Raised or shifted sections create tripping hazards. Cracked and gouged concrete can cause people to trip and fall, injuring themselves. Poor drainage and erosion under the sidewalk can undermine structural integrity.
An uneven sidewalk located in a high foot traffic area like a downtown district, park, school, or other public space compounds the risks. Fall injuries may necessitate visits to the doctor, hospitalization, or even legal action if the property owner is found negligent in ensuring a safe pedestrian route.
How Professionals Repair Uneven Sidewalks
While it’s possible to temporarily patch or fill uneven sections yourself as a temporary fix, professional concrete repair delivers longer lasting results. Here is a general process:
- Removal of damaged sections – The damaged sidewalk panels and underlying base materials are removed and disposed of properly.
- Site preparation – The area is cleaned and leveled in preparation for the new concrete. Proper slope and drainage are ensured.
- Forms and reinforcement – Forms are erected to hold the new concrete in place until cured. Reinforcing wire mesh is often added for extra strength.
- Concrete pouring and finishing – Fresh concrete is poured and finished with textures and joints to match the surrounding sidewalk.
- Curing period – The new sidewalk is protected for several days while the concrete fully cures and hardens.
Professional concrete contractors have the right tools, materials, and training to repair uneven sidewalks properly. They can match color and texture, meet code requirements, and provide long lasting repairs.
Benefits of Professional Sidewalk Repair
Fixing an uneven sidewalk through professional concrete repair provides many benefits:
- Improved safety – Eliminates trip hazards and provides an even, uniform surface.
- ADA compliance – Meets accessibility standards for public sidewalks.
- Aesthetic appeal – Restores the clean, smooth look of your walkways.
- Property value – Well maintained sidewalks can increase curb appeal and property value.
- Liability protection – Proper sidewalk repair shows reasonable care and maintenance.
- Long term solution – New concrete poured correctly will last for decades.
Don’t wait until someone gets injured on your uneven sidewalk. Protect pedestrians and minimize your liability by contacting professional concrete contractors for sidewalk repair services today. With proper maintenance, your sidewalk can continue providing safe access for years to come.
Call Almand Bros concrete today to get a free quote for your project!