Waterproofing services provide foundational support to a building. Damaged basements can harm the property’s structural integrity. Therefore, you must always keep your basement in top condition.
Leakage and cracks are common in basements. They worsen during winter with the water accumulated in the cracks freezing, expanding, and causing snowballing. You can avoid this situation by waterproofing your basement. Here we give you a low-down on basement waterproofing to help you make an informed choice.
Signs your basement needs waterproofing
If you spot any of the following signs, know that your basement needs waterproofing. If it does, call our South Jersey waterproofing professional for inspection.
- Visible water puddles
- Stained floors and walls
- Leakage on the floor or the walls
- Condensation on basement windows or doors
- Jammed doors and windows because of swelling
- Musty smell
- Mold or mildew
Once you have identified the problem and its underlying cause, you can do the following to remedy the situation.
- Apply sealants: Sealants are a quick fix, but they don’t solve the problem entirely. You can use them to prevent water from seeping in. However, a common problem with sealants is that they crack easily when the walls expand or contract because of a temperature change.
- Interior waterproofing: It involves the contractor digging a trench around your basement walls, laying down a drainage system, and installing a sump pump before covering it with concrete and chemical sealants.
The drainage system collects water accumulated on the walls, and the sump pump pushes it out of the basement. Interior waterproofing resolves most issues with minimal need for demolition.
- Exterior waterproofing: It involves waterproofing your basement from the outside using polymers and membranes. The contractor will dig the soil seven or eight feet below your foundation level to create a trench, which they will fill with drain material, gravel, waterproofing membrane, and sealants. Exterior waterproofing is time-consuming and costly, but it can permanently resolve basement leakage issues.
The right waterproofing solution for you depends on several factors, such as the cause of the problem, the severity of the issue, and your budget constraints.
Implementing waterproofing solutions is costly and time-consuming. Therefore, we recommend you take the following preventive measures to keep your basement dry and avoid extensive installation and maintenance expenses.
- Install gutters to redirect water away from the foundation.
- Inspect the basement regularly for signs of damage.
- Invest in sump pumps.
- Install a dehumidifier in your basement.
- Let fresh air into your basement regularly to reduce dampness.
About Almand Bros
Almand Bros should be your one-stop destination for all your South Jersey drainage & construction requirements. One of the oldest concrete and masonry building companies in New Jersey, we have been delivering high-quality construction projects since 1965. Our wide range of services includes concrete and masonry installation and repair, custom stonework, basement waterproofing, grading and watershed, and snow removal services. You can call our concrete contractors in NJ at (856) 310-1390 to get a free estimate. You can also fill our online contact form to get in touch.